Red Cloud Letter
Support provided by:
A Nebraska man obtained a curious letter from his grandfather, who spent time on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Reservation during the early part of the 20th Century.
The letter is from the sculptor of Mount Rushmore, Gutzon Borglum, to a Lakota leader named James Red Cloud. It makes several ambiguous references to treaties between the U.S. government and the Lakota, and, moreover, to Borglum’s desire to help the tribe.
How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with creator of a monument that was regarded by many as a desecration of sacred land?
History Detectives journeys to South Dakota’s Black Hills for the answer.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Rogue Book Who did this book of rogue characters belong to?
- Related Investigation Japanese Balloon Bomb Is this scrap of fabric evidence of a secret wartime attack on the United States' mainland?
- Also in this episode Cast Iron Eagle Did this 12-foot-high eagle once grace the old Grand Central Station in Manhattan?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Related Investigation Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (8 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (4 days ago)