Red Cloud Letter
Support provided by:
A Nebraska man obtained a curious letter from his grandfather, who spent time on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Reservation during the early part of the 20th Century.
The letter is from the sculptor of Mount Rushmore, Gutzon Borglum, to a Lakota leader named James Red Cloud. It makes several ambiguous references to treaties between the U.S. government and the Lakota, and, moreover, to Borglum’s desire to help the tribe.
How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with creator of a monument that was regarded by many as a desecration of sacred land?
History Detectives journeys to South Dakota’s Black Hills for the answer.
- Related Investigation Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
- Related Investigation Society Circus Program Why are some of New York's wealthiest planning a circus at the depth of the Great Depression?
- Also with Gwen Wright Drug Smuggling Doll What does this doll reveal about disease, death and daring during the Civil War?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 PsychoPhone Did Thomas Edison make a machine to unlock the secrets of the dead?
- Also in Season 5 Muhlenberg Robe Was this robe torn off during a fiery sermon to rally congregants to the cause of the Revolutionary War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)