Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also in Season 2 Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Also with Wes Cowan Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Related Investigation Crazy Horse Photo Is this the only photograph of a Native American legend?
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Related Investigation Chief Black Kettle Are these war spoils of a Cheyenne chief?
- Also with Wes Cowan Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.