Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Also in Season 2 Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Also in Season 2 Revolutionary War Cannon Is this the cannon that ignited the first battle of the Revolutionary War?
- Related Investigation Mankato Spoon What does this delicate silver spoon have to do with the largest mass execution in American history?
- Also in Season 2 Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Also with Wes Cowan Valley Forge Map Did George Washington use this map during the American Revolution?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.