Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Little Bighorn Bayonet Could this bayonet have been used at one of the largest massacres of U.S. soldiers by American Indians?
- Also in this episode Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Jefferson Pledge Did the transformation of the nation's public education system begin with this $200 pledge?
- Also with Wes Cowan Old Fire Station Did President Ulysses S. Grant stop by a New Jersey firehouse on the centennial of America?
- Related Investigation Chief Black Kettle Are these war spoils of a Cheyenne chief?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Sabotage? The steamship Sultana exploded one night in 1865, killing more than 1,800 people. Was the disaster a result of Civil War sabotage?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.