Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also in Season 2 Revolutionary War Cannon Is this the cannon that ignited the first battle of the Revolutionary War?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War POW Photos Were these pictures made in a Civil War prison with a home-made camera?
- Also in Season 2 Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Deringers Are these pistols union or rebel?
- Also with Wes Cowan Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Related Investigation Lucy Parson's Book Was the legendary anarchist the owner of this manifesto found in a library?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.