Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Also with Wes Cowan Chinese Poems Who were the authors of the poems describing bitterness and misery on the Angel Island detention center walls?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Also in Season 2 Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Also in Season 2 Mail Order Brides Are these images evidence of mail order brides in 1890s Chicago?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.