Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan General Lee's Farewell Address Could this be a signed copy of one of the most famous documents in the history of the Civil War?
- Also in Season 2 Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Also with Wes Cowan Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also with Wes Cowan Lafitte's Spyglass Did this spyglass really belong to a fearless cutthroat pirate?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Copperhead Cane How did this cane inspire a fiery political movement that threatened Lincoln's presidency?
- Also in Season 2 Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.