Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Little Bighorn Bayonet Could this bayonet have been used at one of the largest massacres of U.S. soldiers by American Indians?
- Also in Season 2 Newport U-Boat Did these propellers come from a WWII German submarine?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Texas Servant Girl Murders Years before Jack the Ripper, did a serial killer walk the streets of Austin, TX?
- Also with Wes Cowan Anti-Slavery Flag Did this old sheet found in a family trunk contribute to the end of slavery in America?
- Also with Wes Cowan Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Red Cloud Letter How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with the controversial sculptor of Mount Rushmore?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.