Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Chandler Tintype How did this Civil War era tintype help re-ignite a fiery debate about African Americans bearing arms for the confederacy?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Also with Wes Cowan Goering Gun Did this shotgun belong to Hitler's right hand man?
- Also in Season 2 Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 U.S.S Olympia Glass Could this farmhouse door have sailed into battle in one of the country's greatest naval victories?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.