Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also with Wes Cowan Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Also with Wes Cowan John Brown Pike How did this metal blade spark violent tension between the North and the South?
- Also with Wes Cowan Camp David Letter Could a box found in a dumpster hold information about the founding of a top-secret Presidential retreat?
- Related Investigation Hot Town Poster What role did this striking poster play in the explosive events of 1960s America?
- Also in Season 2 Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.