Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Related Investigation Calhoun Books Are these the books of the famed intellectual architect of the Confederacy?
- Related Investigation Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War POW Photos Were these pictures made in a Civil War prison with a home-made camera?
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Jigsaw Puzzle Does this puzzle depict a real event - women playing contact sports in the late 19th century?
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Songbook Are these tattered pages the earliest record of music created by slaves?
- Also with Wes Cowan John Brown Pike How did this metal blade spark violent tension between the North and the South?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.