Red Hand Flag
Support provided by:
During her last active duty posting with the Army at Ft. Jackson, a Desert Storm veteran from South Carolina learned about a local, all-but-forgotten African-American infantry regiment in WWI.
Years later, she purchased a worn red-white-red striped flag with a red felted hand sewn in the center and small U.S. flags sewn in the corner.
Our contributor would like to know if her flag was carried into battle by one of the few African-American infantry regiments that fought in WWI under the command of the French.
These unsung heroes of the Great War exhibited extraordinary heroism in battle and were highly decorated.
If this particular flag has French origins, though, why is it red-white-red-striped and not blue-white-red like the tricolor flag?
History Detectives investigates whether this flag can be linked to the legacy of the Red Hand Division and its wartime triumphs.
- Also with Elyse Luray Sideshow Babies Was the owner of this cup once a four-pound sideshow exhibit?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Also in Season 6 Airstream Caravan Was this mobile home part of a modern-day wagon train halfway across the world?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)