Red Hand Flag
During her last active duty posting with the Army at Ft. Jackson, a Desert Storm veteran from South Carolina learned about a local, all-but-forgotten African-American infantry regiment in WWI.
Years later, she purchased a worn red-white-red striped flag with a red felted hand sewn in the center and small U.S. flags sewn in the corner.
Our contributor would like to know if her flag was carried into battle by one of the few African-American infantry regiments that fought in WWI under the command of the French.
These unsung heroes of the Great War exhibited extraordinary heroism in battle and were highly decorated.
If this particular flag has French origins, though, why is it red-white-red-striped and not blue-white-red like the tricolor flag?
History Detectives investigates whether this flag can be linked to the legacy of the Red Hand Division and its wartime triumphs.
- Related Investigation China Marine Jacket Can the symbols on this jacket identify a marine who may have witnessed paradise tumbling into disaster?
- Related Investigation Dutch Colonial Home What role did these menacing forts play in the settling of this part of the West?
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Poison Pin Are these prototypes for poison suicide pins carried by spy plane pilots during the Cold War?
- Also in Season 6 Hitler Films Could these rusting film canisters contain unknown footage of one of the 20th century's most heinous murderers?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.