Red Hand Flag
Support provided by:
During her last active duty posting with the Army at Ft. Jackson, a Desert Storm veteran from South Carolina learned about a local, all-but-forgotten African-American infantry regiment in WWI.
Years later, she purchased a worn red-white-red striped flag with a red felted hand sewn in the center and small U.S. flags sewn in the corner.
Our contributor would like to know if her flag was carried into battle by one of the few African-American infantry regiments that fought in WWI under the command of the French.
These unsung heroes of the Great War exhibited extraordinary heroism in battle and were highly decorated.
If this particular flag has French origins, though, why is it red-white-red-striped and not blue-white-red like the tricolor flag?
History Detectives investigates whether this flag can be linked to the legacy of the Red Hand Division and its wartime triumphs.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also with Elyse Luray Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Also with Elyse Luray Ronald McDonald Costume Is this the costume that helped serve up a billion Happy Meals?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Kahlil Gibran Painting Is this painting an unknown work by an immigrant poet whose words inspired an American generation?
- Related Investigation Lincoln Forgery Could this piece of sheet music have come from Abraham Lincoln's private collection?
- Related Investigation WWI Chemical Warfare Map Could this map be an authentic relic from a critical WWI battle?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (17 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (2 days ago)