Support provided by:
Do this Ohio couple live in a relic from years gone by?
1916: All over the country, new suburban neighborhoods are being created. In Akron, Ohio a couple thinks there might be more to some of these suburban houses than meets the eye. They think their house might be part of a phenomenon that changed the country forever: a Sears home.
Anything could be bought from a Sears catalog, but the ultimate product was a mail-order home.
History Detectives investigates whether Sears, Roebuck & Co. built the home at a time when communities were springing up almost overnight during the industrial boom.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Related Investigation Land Grant How did an African-American win freedom and land so early in American history?
- Also with Gwen Wright Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also in Season 1 Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
- Also in Season 1 Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Also with Gwen Wright Calhoun Books Are these the books of the famed intellectual architect of the Confederacy?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (3 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (1 day ago)