Support provided by:
Do this Ohio couple live in a relic from years gone by?
1916: All over the country, new suburban neighborhoods are being created. In Akron, Ohio a couple thinks there might be more to some of these suburban houses than meets the eye. They think their house might be part of a phenomenon that changed the country forever: a Sears home.
Anything could be bought from a Sears catalog, but the ultimate product was a mail-order home.
History Detectives investigates whether Sears, Roebuck & Co. built the home at a time when communities were springing up almost overnight during the industrial boom.
- Also with Gwen Wright Monroe Letter Does this letter link America's President to the high seas piracy of U.S. merchant ships in the early 1800s?
- Also with Gwen Wright Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Cloud Letter How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with the controversial sculptor of Mount Rushmore?
- Also with Gwen Wright Silent Film Reel Could this film reel could be a silent movie once lost forever to history?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)