Shippen Golf Club
Support provided by:
A children’s golf foundation recently received a surprising donation, an antique golf club.
More significant than its age was the rumor that the original owner was John Shippen Jr., who competed in the 1896 U.S. Open at Long Island’s Shinnecock Hills Golf Club.
The match — the second ever in America — was almost canceled due to the inclusion of Shippen, an African-American.
Hanno Shippen Smith would like to know if it is possible that this club belonged to his grandfather and if it is indeed a rare relic from that pivotal day in the career of this remarkable man.
History Detectives Elyse Luray and Gwen Wright take on the case and discover a story of racial prejudice and the determination of one man to ignore the obstacle of color in the sport that he loved.
- Also with Elyse Luray Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Also with Elyse Luray Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Related Investigation Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Black Star Line Is this certificate a rare artifact from the heyday of Marcus Garvey?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)