Support provided by:
Rummaging through a box of shells and bullets at a Colorado gun show, a History Detectives fan discovered a World War I vintage cartridge with a curious etching: Leo V. Thompson, CO E 31st Inf., A.E.F. Siberia.
The wording makes him wonder if American troops were in Siberia, Russia during WWI.
Inside the casing we find a small blade that looks like a letter opener.
Nearly 40 years after he paid one dollar for the bullet, our contributor still wonders about Leo V. Thompson.
History Detectives investigates.
National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial
100 West 26th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
George Thompson's Letters
- Also in this episode Ronald McDonald Costume Is this the costume that helped serve up a billion Happy Meals?
- Related Investigation Teddy Roosevelt War Club What could this strange object have to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his run for a third term presidency?
- Related Investigation Creole Poems Does this manuscript contain words of love or illegal acts of rebellion?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also in Season 9 Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)