Support provided by:
A Colorado woman wants to know if a silver baby cup from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair, engraved with the name "Patricia", can unlock the mystery to her mother's unusual start in life.
Family lore says the Chicago Public Health Board took premature Patricia from her shoebox cradle at home and put her in an incubator at the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair.
But why were babies exhibited at the Chicago World’s Fair?
History Detectives learns about the forgotten doctor who brought life saving incubator technology to the United States at the turn of the 20th century.
Promotional Material from the Fair
- Also with Elyse Luray Birth Control Box Could this unusual wooden box be an early contraceptive device?
- Related Investigation Lindbergh-Sikorsky Fabric How do the signatures on this patch of fabric connect Charles Lindbergh to another first in flight?
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)