Society Circus Program
A young girl from Oregon finds a curious, yellowed circus program in her school’s drama closet that reads ”Official Program of Cobina Wright’s Society Circus for the benefit of the Boy Scout Foundation, Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, President, Season 1933.”
The program seems to promote some kind of high society theme party at the opulent Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.
Who was Cobina Wright and what do the Boy Scouts, FDR and Cobina’s Circus -- with its lengthy “who’s-who” celebrity list have in common?
History Detectives explores New York City’s 1930s high society and illuminates a connection between FDR and the Boy Scouts that inspired one of the most popular and effective pieces of the President’s New Deal program.
- Related Investigation Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Related Investigation Duke Ellington Plates What is the story behind the printing plates for this famous Jazz song?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 World War II Leaflets How did this scrap of paper help change the course of World War II?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Hitler Films Could these rusting film canisters contain unknown footage of one of the 20th century's most heinous murderers?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
- Also in Season 9 Spanish Civil War Eulogy What can this faded document tell about a US volunteer fighting in another country’s civil war?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.