Society Circus Program
Support provided by:
A young girl from Oregon finds a curious, yellowed circus program in her school’s drama closet that reads ”Official Program of Cobina Wright’s Society Circus for the benefit of the Boy Scout Foundation, Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, President, Season 1933.”
The program seems to promote some kind of high society theme party at the opulent Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City.
Who was Cobina Wright and what do the Boy Scouts, FDR and Cobina’s Circus -- with its lengthy “who’s-who” celebrity list have in common?
History Detectives explores New York City’s 1930s high society and illuminates a connection between FDR and the Boy Scouts that inspired one of the most popular and effective pieces of the President’s New Deal program.
- Related Investigation Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
- Also in Season 6 Atocha Spanish Silver What are these markings on a silver bar discovered in the wreck of a Spanish ship?
- Also with Gwen Wright Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Related Investigation Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also in Season 6 Kahlil Gibran Painting Is this painting an unknown work by an immigrant poet whose words inspired an American generation?
- Also with Gwen Wright Harlem Heirs How is this ornate document connected to the earliest settlers of New York City and a potential multi-million dollar land dispute?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)