Spanish Civil War Eulogy
Support provided by:
Among the documents, his son found a moving four-page eulogy titled, “A Negro Hero Dies.” The words reflect admiration and respect for a man named Douglas Roach. Sol fought in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade with his brother Harry, but they were separated in Spain and Harry went missing.
Who was Douglas Roach? And what happened to Sol’s brother Harry?
History Detectives investigates.
International Center of Photography
1114 Avenue of the Americas at 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives
New York, NY 10003
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, 10th Floor
70 Washington Square South
(West 4th btwn LaGuardia and Greene Streets)
New York, NY 10012
Douglas Roach Eulogy
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Chinese Poems Who were the authors of the poems describing bitterness and misery on the Angel Island detention center walls?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Fillmore Pardon Did President Fillmore pardon a Native American convicted of murder?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Survivor Camera Did this antique camera save a Polish Jew during the Holocaust?
- Also in Season 9 Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Airstream Caravan Was this mobile home part of a modern-day wagon train halfway across the world?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)