Spanish Civil War Eulogy
Support provided by:
Among the documents, his son found a moving four-page eulogy titled, “A Negro Hero Dies.” The words reflect admiration and respect for a man named Douglas Roach. Sol fought in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade with his brother Harry, but they were separated in Spain and Harry went missing.
Who was Douglas Roach? And what happened to Sol’s brother Harry?
History Detectives investigates.
International Center of Photography
1114 Avenue of the Americas at 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives
New York, NY 10003
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, 10th Floor
70 Washington Square South
(West 4th btwn LaGuardia and Greene Streets)
New York, NY 10012
Douglas Roach Eulogy
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Natchez House How did a free man of color come to own this house twelve years before emancipation?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Related Investigation Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Airstream Caravan Was this mobile home part of a modern-day wagon train halfway across the world?
- Related Investigation Stalag 17 Portrait What happened to the artist of this portrait made in a German POW camp?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (2 weeks ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (8 months ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (2 weeks ago)