Special Agent Five
Support provided by:
The intrigue on the brittle pages of this 1930s radio script reaches beyond the suspenseful plot line.
From the text we gather that J. Edgar Hoover himself endorsed the creator to reveal the details of a true story. The first line reads: “Through Courtesy of J. Edgar Hoover … You are permitted to relate authentic story…The Lamar Bank Robbery.”
What does J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI have to do with this radio script? And how accurate are the events in the play?
History Detectives consults with a radio historian in Merrick, NY, digs up background with an historian at FBI headquarters in Washington, DC and talks with a J. Edgar Hoover biographer who helps to connect the dots.
Document: Special Agent Five
View the script for Special Agent Five, Episode IV, Part 1: "The Lamar Bank Robbery".
- Related Investigation 1856 Mormon Tale Is this tattered book a true account of female slavery in the old West?
- Related Investigation Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
- Also with Gwen Wright Powder Horn Who is the man etched into this powder horn?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Marion Carpenter Camera What might this battered camera reveal about a photographer who changed the image of a U.S president?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)