Special Agent Five
Support provided by:
The intrigue on the brittle pages of this 1930s radio script reaches beyond the suspenseful plot line.
From the text we gather that J. Edgar Hoover himself endorsed the creator to reveal the details of a true story. The first line reads: “Through Courtesy of J. Edgar Hoover … You are permitted to relate authentic story…The Lamar Bank Robbery.”
What does J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI have to do with this radio script? And how accurate are the events in the play?
History Detectives consults with a radio historian in Merrick, NY, digs up background with an historian at FBI headquarters in Washington, DC and talks with a J. Edgar Hoover biographer who helps to connect the dots.
Document: Special Agent Five
View the script for Special Agent Five, Episode IV, Part 1: "The Lamar Bank Robbery".
- Related Investigation Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Also with Gwen Wright Continental Currency Could this $6 bill represent America’s first declaration of its independence?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Newport U-Boat Did these propellers come from a WWII German submarine?
- Related Investigation Josh White Guitar What role did this guitar play in the transformation of the music industry in the 1960's?
- Also in Season 8 Clara Barton Letter What does this letter reveal about America's early efforts to honor its war dead?
- Also with Gwen Wright Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (6 days ago)