An Ohio woman has an intriguing drawing that she discovered in the attic of her home. It is an undated sketch of the cartoon hero Superman with a note that reads "With Best Wishes to Randall, from Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster."
Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were the creators of Superman, but the contributor has no idea how her late father Randall obtained this apparently original piece of artwork.
A plausible connection is Randall’s army service during World War II, a time when the man of steel, along with other popular American cartoon characters, was featured as a hero in action against German and Japanese forces.
History Detectives journeys to Ohio, New York and New Jersey to investigate the early days of Superman and how this comic icon was used to inspire American GIs during wartime.
- Also in Season 4 Philadelphia Freedom Paper Is this document found in a flea market an original freedom paper for African-Americans?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
- Also in Season 4 Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Related Investigation War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 China Marine Jacket Can the symbols on this jacket identify a marine who may have witnessed paradise tumbling into disaster?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Balloon Could this piece of frayed material be from the country's first military airship?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.