An Ohio woman has an intriguing drawing that she discovered in the attic of her home. It is an undated sketch of the cartoon hero Superman with a note that reads "With Best Wishes to Randall, from Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster."
Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were the creators of Superman, but the contributor has no idea how her late father Randall obtained this apparently original piece of artwork.
A plausible connection is Randall’s army service during World War II, a time when the man of steel, along with other popular American cartoon characters, was featured as a hero in action against German and Japanese forces.
History Detectives journeys to Ohio, New York and New Jersey to investigate the early days of Superman and how this comic icon was used to inspire American GIs during wartime.
- Related Investigation Birthplace Of Hip Hop Did this Bronx apartment building give birth to a culture that now spans the globe?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Japanese Carved Cane What can the message on this cane expose about life behind barbed wire in World War II America?
- Related Investigation Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Also in Season 4 Highlander Badge Could an amateur treasure diver really have found a possible Revolutionary War artifact?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Ernie Pyle's Typewriter Did America’s most beloved battlefront correspondent bang out his dispatches on this Corona 3?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.