Support provided by:
A Polish-American art collector comes across four striking drawings while browsing an online auction.
He believes they share a remarkable resemblance to the work of America's most influential political cartoonist, Arthur Szyk.
Could these drawings be the earliest known work of the man whose illustrations helped persuade America to fight the Nazis in World War II?
History Detectives heads to the San Francisco Bay Area and to Washington, D.C. to learn more about this influential artist, whose work inspired Eleanor Roosevelt to call him "a one man army against Hitler" and who led Hitler to put a price on his head.
- Also with Elyse Luray Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also with Elyse Luray Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Related Investigation Drug Smuggling Doll What does this doll reveal about disease, death and daring during the Civil War?
- Also in Season 3 Snowshoe's Mailbag Was this the satchel Snowshoe Thompson used to deliver his mail?
- Also with Elyse Luray Dueling Pistols Were these pistols used in the last great duel on U.S. soil?
- Related Investigation Camp David Letter Could a box found in a dumpster hold information about the founding of a top-secret Presidential retreat?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)