Teddy Roosevelt War Club
Support provided by:
More than 30 years ago, while tearing the aluminum roofing from a farm house, a Chicago man discovered an oddly carved piece of wood in the dark recesses of the attic.
It is about three and a half feet long, two inches around with a faint inscription weathered by time. The wording that remains reads: Bull Moose War Club – From the Green Mountains near the City of Rutland, VT, and to the Great Chief Teddy Roosevelt, Aug. 29, ’12.
History Detectives heads to New England to find out who, if anyone, gave this club to Teddy Roosevelt.
Rutland Historical Society
96 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
20 Sagamore Hill Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Related Investigation Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Related Investigation Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Army Muster Roll What can a Continental Army muster roll tell us about this remarkable African-American soldier?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Rogue Book Who did this book of rogue characters belong to?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 WWI Chemical Warfare Map Could this map be an authentic relic from a critical WWI battle?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)