Texas POW Camp
Support provided by:
A resident of Hearne, Texas recently heard rumors that a German POW camp was based in her town during World War II.
1942: War officials in Great Britain are in crisis. They have no more space to house the steadily mounting numbers of captured German soldiers. America opens its borders to an emergency batch of prisoners, marking the beginning of a little-known chapter in American history, when thousands of German soldiers marched into small town, U.S.A.
A tiny printing block from a Pro-Nazi newspaper, discovered by a Texas A&M archaeologist just may hold the key to this mystery.
History Detectives heads to Texas to learn more about the history of POW camps in this country and reveal a hidden episode of wartime Nazism inside the United States.
- Also in Season 3 Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation John Hunt Morgan Saddle Could this be a saddle from one of the most audacious attacks launched by the South during the Civil War?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Empire State Building Plane Crash Piece Does this piece of metal belong to the plane that crashed into the Empire State Building?
- Also with Gwen Wright Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
- Also in Season 3 Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)