The Disappearance of Glenn Miller
As Glenn Miller’s musical career soared, he traded in his commercial success for a military uniform to entertain US troops during World War II. Then, on a foggy afternoon, December 15, 1944, he took off from England heading for France. His plane vanished over the English Channel. Glenn Miller was never seen again.
Since that fateful day, Glenn Miller’s disappearance has remained a mystery. Did friendly fire destroy the plane? Was Miller involved in espionage? Was he on a secret mission to end the war?
Recent discoveries—including an intriguing entry in an aircraft spotter’s log—give the History Detectives fresh leads and new clues to explore. Along the way, they learn of the unusual role Glenn Miller and his music played in winning hearts and minds during World War II. Can they find out what happened to this beloved bandleader once and for all?
The Glenn Miller Archive
College of Music
University of Colorado Boulder
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mankato Spoon What does this delicate silver spoon have to do with the largest mass execution in American history?
- Related Investigation Car Tape Deck Is this an example of the first ever commercially produced car tape player?
- Related Investigation Japanese House How did a Japanese house come to be at the San Francisco World's Fair just months before WWII began?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.