The Disappearance of Glenn Miller
As Glenn Miller’s musical career soared, he traded in his commercial success for a military uniform to entertain US troops during World War II. Then, on a foggy afternoon, December 15, 1944, he took off from England heading for France. His plane vanished over the English Channel. Glenn Miller was never seen again.
Since that fateful day, Glenn Miller’s disappearance has remained a mystery. Did friendly fire destroy the plane? Was Miller involved in espionage? Was he on a secret mission to end the war?
Recent discoveries—including an intriguing entry in an aircraft spotter’s log—give the History Detectives fresh leads and new clues to explore. Along the way, they learn of the unusual role Glenn Miller and his music played in winning hearts and minds during World War II. Can they find out what happened to this beloved bandleader once and for all?
The Glenn Miller Archive
College of Music
University of Colorado Boulder
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Dempsey Fight Bell Is this the bell that sat ringside at the world's first boxing superstar's legendary match?
- Also with Kaiama Glover Texas Servant Girl Murders Years before Jack the Ripper, did a serial killer walk the streets of Austin, TX?
- Related Investigation Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.