Thomas Edison's House
Was this home designed and built by inventor Thomas Edison?
Did the inventor of the electric light, the motion picture camera and wireless telegraphy also try to re-invent the way houses were built?
History detective and architectural historian Gwen Wright investigates and discovers a surprising story of technological innovation, failed inventions and an approach to housing that was 30 years ahead of its time.
- Also with Gwen Wright Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also with Gwen Wright Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Also with Gwen Wright African American Comic Book Did the makers of this 1950s comic book have more than romance on their minds?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Women's Suffrage Painting What role did this watercolor painting play in securing women the right to vote?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.