Thomas Edison's House
Was this home designed and built by inventor Thomas Edison?
Did the inventor of the electric light, the motion picture camera and wireless telegraphy also try to re-invent the way houses were built?
History detective and architectural historian Gwen Wright investigates and discovers a surprising story of technological innovation, failed inventions and an approach to housing that was 30 years ahead of its time.
- Related Investigation Dutch Colonial Home What role did these menacing forts play in the settling of this part of the West?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Related Investigation Boxcar Home Why is a boxcar buried beneath this suburban kitchen?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bonus Army Stamp Is this stamp connected to a moment when the U.S. Army fought fellow soldiers in the nation’s capital?
- Also in Season 2 Lewis & Clark's Cane Was this family heirloom a gift from the famous explorers Lewis and Clark?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Mail Order Brides Are these images evidence of mail order brides in 1890s Chicago?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.