Support provided by:
While vacationing in Cape Cod, a History Detectives fan from Maine found what looked like a length of old, twisted rope. Closer inspection revealed a curious coil of wire cables covered in thick fabric.
He knows that in the 1800’s communication cables stretched from New England to Europe; so our viewer wonders if he’s found a piece of one of the first transatlantic cables that connected the United States to Europe.
To solve the case, History Detectives speaks to historians to learn the monumental significance of the transatlantic cables, takes the cable to a lab to test for the type and age of the materials in the cable, then combs through the archives in the town of Orleans, MA, where our viewer found the cable, to pinpoint if this coil of wires made – or relayed - history.
Transatlantic Cable Images
- Related Investigation N.E.A.R Device Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a Soviet nuclear attack?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Jim Thorpe Ticket Is this ticket evidence of a chapter of Thorpe's career forgotten by history: as a professional basketball player?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Lincoln Oath Was this note penned by Abraham Lincoln?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Carson Family Secrets Is this book a Carson family heirloom?
- Also in Season 8 Iwo Jima Map What role did this map play in one of World War II's fiercest battles?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Jackie Robinson Scorecard What does this scorecard reveal about the desegregation of our national pastime?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)