Unwed Mother's Home
The only reminder one woman has of her birth parents is a medallion of the Virgin Mary that was attached to her diaper when she was presented from a home for unwed mothers to her adoptive parents.
Homes for unwed mothers were a national trend from the beginning of the 20th century until the 1970s, when they fell from use.
Follow this emotional story as the History Detectives head to Missouri to help our contributor finally find her birth parents and the home where she was adopted.
- Also in Season 3 Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Also with Gwen Wright Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Also with Gwen Wright Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
- Also in Season 3 George Washington Portrait Could this be an authentic portrait of the nation's first president?
- Also with Gwen Wright Hitler Films Could these rusting film canisters contain unknown footage of one of the 20th century's most heinous murderers?
- Also in Season 3 WWI Chemical Warfare Map Could this map be an authentic relic from a critical WWI battle?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.