Unwed Mother's Home
Support provided by:
The only reminder one woman has of her birth parents is a medallion of the Virgin Mary that was attached to her diaper when she was presented from a home for unwed mothers to her adoptive parents.
Homes for unwed mothers were a national trend from the beginning of the 20th century until the 1970s, when they fell from use.
Follow this emotional story as the History Detectives head to Missouri to help our contributor finally find her birth parents and the home where she was adopted.
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
- Also with Gwen Wright Chinese Poems Who were the authors of the poems describing bitterness and misery on the Angel Island detention center walls?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also in Season 3 Snowshoe's Mailbag Was this the satchel Snowshoe Thompson used to deliver his mail?
- Also with Gwen Wright Drug Smuggling Doll What does this doll reveal about disease, death and daring during the Civil War?
- Also in Post War: 1945-1970 Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Post War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)