Valley Forge Map
Support provided by:
The Newport Historical Society have found a faded, hand drawn map with torn edges among the papers of John Austin Stevens. Papers that have sat undisturbed since the 1940s. Stevens founded the Sons of the Revolution in 1876 to preserve the history of the Revolutionary War. John Austin Stevens' grandfather was Ebenezer Stevens who served in the Revolutionary War.
Did General Washington hold this map in his hands during the critical winter at Valley Forge that many historians consider the turning point in the American Revolution? History Detectives host Wes Cowan is on the case.
Valley Forge National Historic Park
1400 North Outer Line Drive
King of Prussia, PA 19406
Revolutionary War Map
- Also with Wes Cowan Modoc Basket What tales does this basket weave of the heroism of an American-Indian woman?
- Also in Revolution: 1754-1820 Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also with Wes Cowan Great Mexican War Posters Is this an advertisement for a film made by an eyewitness to the Mexican Revolution?
- Also with Wes Cowan Cemetery Alarm Was this explosive device used to stop a morbid black market trade?
- Also in Season 10 Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also in Season 10 Star Spangled Banner Is this the first official copy of the national anthem?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Revolution: 1754-1820 object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)