Support provided by:
Might a whaling ship docked in Mystic Seaport, Connecticut hold secrets to the Underground Railroad?
The Charles W. Morgan is most commonly known as the only surviving wooden whaling ship in America.
But our contributor thinks it may have assisted fugitive slaves in their journey to freedom.
Could this ship prove to be an integral part of the Underground Railroad, smuggling slaves out of the south?
The History Detectives are called in to find out.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Booth Letter Did the father of John Wilkes Booth threaten to assassinate the President?
- Related Investigation WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Related Investigation Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Civil War POW Photos Were these pictures made in a Civil War prison with a home-made camera?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Amos n' Andy Record Is this aluminum record an early recording of the old-time radio series?
- Also with Wes Cowan WWII Patch What is the story behind these patches?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest Commentthat's unique, if anyone has anything similar to this, then you should do what i do, share your artwork on Art Radio it is one the best up and coming social media platforms for musicians and artists. (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (2 days ago)