Support provided by:
Could a house in Essex County, Massachusetts, have once belonged to an accused witch?
A plaque over the door states that Benjamin Abbott built the house in 1685. Our contributors have heard that Abbott accused his neighbor, Martha Carrier, of being a witch, in an effort to take her land.
The History Detectives head to New England to research the story of Martha Carrier who was executed by hanging in 1692 during the infamous Salem Witch Trials.
Might the woman who was called the "Queen of Hell" have owned this home?
- Also with Gwen Wright N.E.A.R Device Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a Soviet nuclear attack?
- Also in Season 2 Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Related Investigation Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
- Related Investigation Galleon Shipwreck Is this a piece of treasure from a Spanish galleon washed up on an Oregon beach?
- Also with Gwen Wright Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Also with Gwen Wright Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Colonization: 1585-1763 object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)