Support provided by:
Could a house in Essex County, Massachusetts, have once belonged to an accused witch?
A plaque over the door states that Benjamin Abbott built the house in 1685. Our contributors have heard that Abbott accused his neighbor, Martha Carrier, of being a witch, in an effort to take her land.
The History Detectives head to New England to research the story of Martha Carrier who was executed by hanging in 1692 during the infamous Salem Witch Trials.
Might the woman who was called the "Queen of Hell" have owned this home?
- Also in Season 2 Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Related Investigation Airstream Caravan Was this mobile home part of a modern-day wagon train halfway across the world?
- Related Investigation Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Also in Season 1 John Brown Letters How is this woman in Sacramento related to John Brown, the 19th-century abolitionist?
- Also in Season 1 Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
- Also with Gwen Wright Women's Suffrage Painting What role did this watercolor painting play in securing women the right to vote?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Colonization: 1585-1763 object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (6 days ago)