World War II Leaflets
Going through her brother’s belongings in El Paso, TX, a History Detectives fan came across a leaflet with Japanese writing and startling war images.
A note taped to the box says, “This box contains an original propaganda leaflet dropped on Japan. I know the woman who did most of the artwork and printing for the U.S. propaganda leaflets.”
The pictures are provocative: a clenched fist with people struggling inside its grasp, a soldier wielding a dagger against a civilian, planes flying over billows of smoke.
Who was the artist? Did the US Military use this leaflet during World War II?
Seattle Museum of Flight
9404 East Marginal Way S
Seattle, WA 98108-4097
Francis Blakemore's Leaflets
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Related Investigation The Disappearance of Glenn Miller In 1944, bandleader Glenn Miller boarded a plane for Paris and was never seen again. What happened?
- Related Investigation Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Newport U-Boat Did these propellers come from a WWII German submarine?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Sabotage? The steamship Sultana exploded one night in 1865, killing more than 1,800 people. Was the disaster a result of Civil War sabotage?
- Also with Wes Cowan Jefferson Pledge Did the transformation of the nation's public education system begin with this $200 pledge?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.