World War II Leaflets
Support provided by:
Going through her brother’s belongings in El Paso, TX, a History Detectives fan came across a leaflet with Japanese writing and startling war images.
A note taped to the box says, “This box contains an original propaganda leaflet dropped on Japan. I know the woman who did most of the artwork and printing for the U.S. propaganda leaflets.”
The pictures are provocative: a clenched fist with people struggling inside its grasp, a soldier wielding a dagger against a civilian, planes flying over billows of smoke.
Who was the artist? Did the US Military use this leaflet during World War II?
Seattle Museum of Flight
9404 East Marginal Way S
Seattle, WA 98108-4097
Francis Blakemore's Leaflets
- Related Investigation Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
- Also in Season 9 Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Continental Club Card What secrets can this business card reveal about glamour and vice in 1930s Los Angeles?
- Also with Wes Cowan Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Also with Wes Cowan Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Depression or World War II object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)