World War II Leaflets
Going through her brother’s belongings in El Paso, TX, a History Detectives fan came across a leaflet with Japanese writing and startling war images.
A note taped to the box says, “This box contains an original propaganda leaflet dropped on Japan. I know the woman who did most of the artwork and printing for the U.S. propaganda leaflets.”
The pictures are provocative: a clenched fist with people struggling inside its grasp, a soldier wielding a dagger against a civilian, planes flying over billows of smoke.
Who was the artist? Did the US Military use this leaflet during World War II?
Seattle Museum of Flight
9404 East Marginal Way S
Seattle, WA 98108-4097
Francis Blakemore's Leaflets
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Chinese Poems Who were the authors of the poems describing bitterness and misery on the Angel Island detention center walls?
- Also in Season 9 Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
- Also in Depression and WWII: 1929-1945 Society Circus Program Why are some of New York's wealthiest planning a circus at the depth of the Great Depression?
- Related Investigation Nazi Spy Toys Did a Nazi spy buy these toy soldiers?
- Related Investigation WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.