WWI Chemical Warfare Map
Support provided by:
A woman inherits a map of a World War I battlefield in France from her grandfather, an engineer under General Pershing.
The map is of St. Mihiel, a little-known but key battle in which U.S. forces took the lead, fighting for the first time unaccompanied by the French or British armies.
The battle, fought near Verdun during the final months of the war, was critical in routing the Germans and helped pave the way for the Armistice.
The map also includes detailed warnings about what to do in the event of a gas attack. Could this map be an authentic relic from this critical battle?
History Detectives travels to Louisiana, Maryland and Pennsylvania to learn more about this important conflict and shed light on the origins of gas warfare.
- Related Investigation Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Related Investigation Society Circus Program Why are some of New York's wealthiest planning a circus at the depth of the Great Depression?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Hollywood Sign Is this a piece of the original Hollywood sign?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Coney Island Lions Could this be an artifact from the bygone days of early amusement parks?
- Also with Gwen Wright Calhoun Books Are these the books of the famed intellectual architect of the Confederacy?
- Also with Gwen Wright Continental Currency Could this $6 bill represent America’s first declaration of its independence?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)