WWI Chemical Warfare Map
Support provided by:
A woman inherits a map of a World War I battlefield in France from her grandfather, an engineer under General Pershing.
The map is of St. Mihiel, a little-known but key battle in which U.S. forces took the lead, fighting for the first time unaccompanied by the French or British armies.
The battle, fought near Verdun during the final months of the war, was critical in routing the Germans and helped pave the way for the Armistice.
The map also includes detailed warnings about what to do in the event of a gas attack. Could this map be an authentic relic from this critical battle?
History Detectives travels to Louisiana, Maryland and Pennsylvania to learn more about this important conflict and shed light on the origins of gas warfare.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Related Investigation Drug Smuggling Doll What does this doll reveal about disease, death and daring during the Civil War?
- Related Investigation War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Also with Gwen Wright Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)