December is right around the corner and it’s time to start our countdown to Christmas! This year we made a simple paper chain that holds a fun and festive activity for each day until Christmas. It’s sure fill the days until Christmas with joy and laughter!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 pieces of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper (red, green and gold)
- pen or pencil
How to Prepare:
- Mark and draw lines 1 1/2 inches apart on scrapbook papers. You should be able to make 8 links per piece of paper, making a total of 24 strips.
- Cut the links. Young kids can practice scissor skills (see below).
- Write activities to do with your family on each strip.
Here are some activities that we included in our Christmas countdown chain:
- Make a Christmas craft
- Make a homemade ornament to hang on the tree
- Drink hot chocolate with marshmallows together
- Listen and sing along to Christmas carols
- Make Christmas candies and cookies
- Make a holiday wreath
- Hang the stockings
- Decorate the kids rooms
- Make homemade cards to send to grandparents
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Write a letter to Santa
- Make a snow globe
- Have candy canes for dessert
- Read holiday books
- Color a Christmas coloring page
- Take a family photo
- Watch a Christmas movie
- Go Christmas shopping together
- Build a snowman (we may have to get creative if there’s no snow!)
- Wrap Christmas presents
- Cut out snowflakes
- Make your own wrapping paper
What the Kids Can Do:
Preschoolers and older kids can cut the strips apart. My preschooler is just learning to follow the lines while cutting. He veered off a couple of times, but it’s easily fixed with some scotch tape.
After all the strips are cut, the kids can create an ABC pattern with them and link them together. An adult, or another child, can hold the link in place while your child staples it.
Then hang it up–it can also add to your Christmas decorations. Remove a link every day until Christmas. Have a blast doing all sorts of Christmas activities together!
Kids will love to count the chains each day to see just how many more days until Christmas!