Make your own thermometer with this neat science project you can do at home.
What You’ll Need
- empty glass bottle
- food coloring
- modeling clay
- clear straw
- 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup of water
How to Make a Bottle Thermometer
- Pour your water into the glass bottle.
- Pour your rubbing alcohol into the bottle.
- Add a few drops of food coloring. Mix by swirling the bottle around, gently.
- Insert your straw into the bottle. Make sure it doesn’t fall in or touch the bottom.
- Secure the straw with modeling clay at the top of the bottle. Make sure not to cover the top of the straw.
- Place your thermometer in the sun to see it in action and watch the video above to hear Mya, the Full-Time Kid, explain how it works!