The weather here has definitely switched from fall to winter even if the calendar hasn’t. As children bundle up to go outside it’s a great time to talk about animals that don’t need to bundle up. Learning about arctic animals is a fun activity to welcome winter and simple sorting activities are quick to set up, but still offer lots of learning.
What You Will Need
- some toy animals
- a cookie tray
- masking tape
- a marker
How to Set it Up
- Start by taping off two sections on the cookie tray.
- Write “Arctic” and “Not Arctic” on the tape.
- Place the animals in the bowl.
If your child needs help while sorting, try these prompts:
- Does that animal look like it would be warm in cold weather?
- Does that animal have fur that would be camouflaged in snow?
- Does that animal have lots of fat called blubber to keep them warm in cold water?
More Adventures in Learning