Christmas excitement is at a all time high at my house but I wanted to channel it today into something useful…and educational. This math match game for preschool can be adapted so easily for older kids or as your child develops their math skills. It took me only minutes to throw together and if you don’t have a nifty cupcake holder like we do try a muffin tin instead!
What You Will Need
- some red card stock
- a muffin tin or cupcake container.
- washi tape
- a marker – I used metallic for a little extra awesome!
How to Set it Up
- Start by taping cutting the card stock into circles that fit in the cups of the tray you are using.
- Add dots to each circle (I did from 1 to 9).
- Using a permanent marker, write the numbers 1 to 9 ( or however many spots you have in your tray) on the pan/ tray. Don’t worry — a little dry erase marker over the permanent marker will take it right off.
- Add a little washi tape on the top of the circle to make it look like an ornament.
If your child needs help while matching, try these prompts:
- Can you find the spot with a 2 on it? Now lets see if there is an ornament with 2 dots!
- Before we start lets read all these numbers.
- Before we start lets count up all the dots. Instead of doing the activity for the kids, these questions help them understand the elements and they will hopefully see the connection and be able to complete the activity happily.