Book Birthday Party
- two rectangular cakes (made with store-bought mix or homemade)
- 3 tubs of store-bought frosting or 3 bowls of homemade frosting—one white and two different colors
- assorted icing writers
- assorted candy melts
- cake pop sticks
- 2 candy eyes
- 2 pretzel sticks
- sharp knife
- pastry bag
- medium round baking tip
- Slice 4 inches off the top of one of the cakes and 2 inches off the side to create Book #1.
- Repeat the above step with the other cake, but make it just a little larger. This will be Book #2 and the bottom/base of the cake.
- Apply a thin layer of frosting as a crumb coat to both cakes and refrigerate for about an hour.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining cake scraps that you cut off in the previous steps.
- Crumble the cake scraps and stir in half a cup of white frosting until well mixed.
- Roll the cake/frosting mix into 2-inch balls (cake pop size).
- Melt one of the assorted candy melt colors according to the instructions on the package. Dip one end of each cake pop stick into the melted candy and then insert it into the center of a cake ball.
- Allow the candy to set and then coat the entire cake ball in melted candy. Repeat until you have four cake pops in alternating colors. Set the cake balls aside.
- Remove the crumb-coated cakes from the refrigerator. With the remaining white icing, apply a thick layer to the top and bottom edges, and one side of the cake. This will be the pages of the book.
- With one of the frosting colors, apply frosting to the top and remaining edge of the cake. This will be the cover of the book.
- Using your pastry bag and medium round tip, apply frosting to outline the entire cover of the book.
- Repeat the above three steps with the other crumb-coated cake.
- Carefully place the smaller of the two book cakes on top of the larger book cake (you can use two spatulas to make the transfer easier if desired).
- With the icing writer, add a book title and book cover decorations to the front cover of the top book.
- Pipe frosting along the bottom of both books to complete the book covers.
- Remove the four assorted cake balls from the sticks and add them to the front of the top book to make a bookworm.
- Using candy melt or frosting as glue, add the two candy eyes to the head of the cake ball bookworm.
- With the red icing writer, add a mouth.
- Dip the two pretzel sticks in candy melt and insert them in the head of the bookworm to make the antennae. Set your cake on your Book Party table for a fun, sweet treat to celebrate your little bookworm!