Clifford Birthday Party
Emily Elizabeth's Dog Bowl Birthday Cake
Make this dog bowl birthday cake for your Clifford-themed birthday party!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- Decorator frosting (see ingredients)
- Tube frosting with thin tip in desired color (for writing)
- kibble (ex: mini wheats cereal, animal crackers, crumbled chocolate cookies and graham crackers)
You can also use a box mix for the cake.
What You'll Need for the Decorator Frosting:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8" round layer cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Separate the eggs and set whites aside. Add egg yolks one at a time to the creamed mixture, beating after each addition.
- Mix baking powder and the flour together. Begin sifting a bit of the flour mixture into the creamed batter. Continue adding the flour and then, the milk alternately, while beating the mixture continually until air bubbles show.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with a dash of salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean -- approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Cool cakes on a wire rack.
- Once cakes have cooled, slice off a sliver of the cake tops so they don't have a curved shape and can rest flatly on each other when stacked.
- Prepare decorator frosting and tint it desired color (we choose Clifford red!).
- Frost the bottom cake completely. For the top cake, create a well for the "dog food" by scooping out some cake about one-inch deep (see the photo for the finished cake). Place top cake on bottom cake and frost, covering the "seam" with frosting.
- Do not worry if the "well" is a bit crumby when you frost it. Fill in with any type of "kibble" topping your child desires!
- Use tube frosting in a contrasting color to write your happy birthday message along the dog bowl rim.