Curious George Birthday Party
Curious George's Shadow Theatre
- bed sheet
- clothesline or rope
- 6-8 clothespins
- 2 posts or trees
- heavy books, rocks or weights
- bright light source (lamps or setting sun)
- various props, e.g., ball, watering can and chair
How to Prepare:
- Tie the clothesline to each pole or tree. Make sure the string is taut and won't collapse with the added weight of the sheet.
- Fold a side of the sheet over the clothesline and use clothespins to secure the sheet. Attach clothespins every 10 to 12 inches along the length of the sheet.
- Leave enough of the sheet dragging so that some of it falls to the ground. Place weighted objects on this dragging sheet material, securing it in place. This will keep the sheet from flying away and it will make the surface smooth.
- If you're doing this inside, leave enough space behind the sheet so there's room for the light source and the actors to move around.
How to Play:
- Once the stage is set, organize your actors. Assign all actors a number, ranging from 1 to 3. Have all your "ones" sit together and give them one of the prompts below. Do the same for your "twos" and "threes." Give party guests who prefer to work alone the opportunity to act out an animal or something of their own creation. (Note: Most of the suggested prompts require at least two actors working together.)
- Provide your actors with these or other performance prompts:
- Water a tree and watch it grow
- Chop down a tree.
- Make a creature with four arms.
- Show your head rolling away.
- Pretend to be an animal.
- Act out a fairy tale.
- Tell the actors that they can use any of the props, e.g., ball, watering can or chair, in their performance.
- Remind actors to stand between the light source and the sheet.
- Encourage the audience/guests to applaud for the performers.
- Have children take turns trying out these prompts.