Outer Space Birthday Party
Moon Rocks: DIY Rock Candy Favors
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- food coloring (optional)
- wax or parchment paper
- clothespins (to keep the skewers in place)
- mason jars
- bamboo skewers
- small plastic bag
- Out of This World favor labels (pdf)
- Heat the water in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat. Pour the sugar into the center of the water without stirring it, and bring it to a boil.
- Allow to boil for two minutes (or until the syrup is clear and not grainy or cloudy) and then remove it from the heat.
- Pour the syrup into the mason jars, dividing it equally until it's about three inches high in each jar. If you wish, add a few drops of food coloring to the syrup and stir it quickly. Cover each jar with a small plastic bag.
- Dip each bamboo skewer into the remaining syrup about three inches up the skewer. Lay out a piece of wax or parchment paper and sprinkle the entire syrup-coated portion with sugar, then lay it down on the paper and allow it to dry for about an hour.
- After the skewers are dry, gently remove any hard coating that has formed on the surface of the syrup in the jars, lifting away any big chunks.
- Dip bamboo skewers vertically into the syrup in the jars, standing them upright in place by clipping them with a clothespin on the top of the jar, keeping the ends about ½ inch from the bottom of the jar. You will fit two to three sticks per jar of syrup. Cover each jar again with a small plastic bag.
- Set the jars in a safe place, and gently jiggle the sticks once a day to keep the rock candy crystals from sticking to the top, bottom, or sides of the jars. In about five days, the rock candy sticks will be ready. Remove the sticks from the mason jars and lay them on wax or parchment paper; allow to dry for at least three hours. Once they are dry, trim the bottom of each bamboo skewer to the desired length for your rock candy stick.
- Print and cut out the Out of This World favor labels. Place each rock candy stick into a small plastic bag and affix the label with twine or ribbon. Your little astronauts will be over the moon for these moon rock favors!