Super Why Birthday Party
Wonder Red's Freeze Dance Rhyming
- 32 word cards (PDF)
- CD or MP3 player/speakers with music
How to Prepare:
- Print and cut out (*adults only) 32 index cards (-ALL family word cards and NON-ALL word cards). Make sure you have two cards for each of the –ALL family words (WALL, TALL, BALL, SMALL, HALL, CALL, MALL, FALL) and the 16 additional birthday words: BALLOONS, BIRTHDAY, CAKE, CANDLES, CARD, DANCE, FRIENDS, FUN, GIFT, HAPPY, INVITE, MUSIC, PARTY, SING, SURPRISE, WISH.
- Mix the word cards together and put them in the Wonder Words Basket.
- Cue the CD or MP3 player to play music.
How to Play:
- Have everybody at the party stand in an open space.
- Read these instructions aloud: “I love –ALL words! They make me want to let loose and boogie! It’s time to rhyme! As you dance, I will read and show you words. If it’s an –ALL word [you can give examples], you freeze. If it’s not an –ALL word, keep dancing.”
- Show the kids how it works. Play music. Start dancing. When you pull out an –ALL word from the basket, stop dancing. When you pull out a non-ALL word from the basket, keep dancing.
- With younger kids, read the word aloud and show it to them. With older kids, show them the word without reading it aloud. If it is an –ALL Family word, the kids should freeze. If it is a NON-ALL word, the kids should keep dancing.
- Play as many times as the kids want and be sure to end with “Wonderrific, you were terrific!”