Super Why Birthday Party
Super Why Birthday Cake
- iced cake
- colored sprinkles
- craft paper (or pre-cut question mark)
- black licorice (optional)
- brown M&M's® (optional)
- round baking pan, greased
- knife (for adult use only)
- rubber spatula
How to Make the Cake:
- Mix cake batter as directed on the box.
- Pour into greased round cake pan.
- Bake as directed and allow cake to cool for at least 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and set on a baking rack to cool. Do not decorate until fully cooled. You can put the cake in the freezer for a few minutes if you like before icing to avoid crumbs.
How to Decorate the Cake:
- First, you will need to make Super Why's skin frosting, which will cover the entire cake. Add a drop of yellow dye and a drop of orange dye to a portion of your frosting and mix. Start with just a little frosting, as you can always make more as needed.
- Smooth the frosting all over the cake using a rubber spatula until the cake is fully covered.
- Next, carefully use a toothpick or knife (adults only) to draw outlines for Super Why's mask and his hairline.
- To decorate the mask, add green food dye to some of your white frosting and mix. Add small amounts of the green frosting in the mask area you outlined in step 3 and spread it out until smooth. Make sure to leave two circles for the eyes. You can clean up the eye circles using your finger or a spoon. For a textured look, you can pipe in the icing using a star-shaped tip.
- Next, add two circles of white frosting for Super Why's eyes and smooth out.
- To make the pupils, add blue food dye to some white frosting and mix. Add a small amount of frosting for each eye and spread in a circle. You can add brown M&M’s®, chocolate chips, icing, etc. for the center of each eye. (*Make sure to check with parents for any party guest food allergies or dietary restrictions.)
- To make Super Why's hair, add brown dye to the white frosting and mix (or use chocolate frosting). Apply the frosting to the top portion of the cake and spread out until you are happy with his hairstyle. For a more textured look, pipe in icing with a star-shaped tip.
- For Super Why's eyebrows, nose and mouth, you can either use black licorice or pipe in brown icing (or chocolate frosting).