Thomas Birthday Party
Thomas Birthday Cake
- 9" x 13" rectangular cake (homemade or store bought)
- 9" round cake (homemade or store bought)
- two 16-ounce tubs of white frosting
- blue, red, yellow, and green food coloring
- 2 Oreo cookies
- black licorice
- dark chocolate bar (we used Hershey's)
- Kit Kat chocolate bar
- 2 chocolate candy melts
- Place the rectangular cake on the serving plate you will be using for the party and the circle cake on a round dinner plate. Crumb coat both cakes with a thin layer of white frosting and place them in the refrigerator to set for about an hour.
- Empty the two tubs of frosting into two separate bowls. Add blue food coloring to the first bowl and mix until you've achieved the desired "Thomas" blue hue.
- In the second bowl of white frosting, mix in equal drops of blue, red, yellow, and green food coloring (starting with 4 drops each) until you reach a pale gray.
- Remove the round and rectangular cakes from the refrigerator. Frost the rectangular cake with the blue frosting and the round cake with the gray frosting.
- With two spatulas (it helps if you have an extra hand), place the round cake on top of the lower half of the rectangular cake.
- Remove the top halves of the two Oreo cookies and place them (white side up) on the gray, round cake to make the eyes. Place a chocolate melt (bottom side up) on the white of each Oreo to make the pupils.
- Cut two 1.5" pieces of black licorice, bend them slightly to make the eyebrows, and place them above the Oreo eyes. Cut one 4-inch and two 2.5-inch pieces of black licorice for the mouth. Shape the longer piece into the smile and place it on the cake. Then add the two shorter pieces, one on each side, also shaped into a smile.
- Cut another piece of licorice about 4" long and then cut it in half lengthwise. Bend it into an arc and placing it on the center of the round cake to make the nose.
- Cut off a third of the chocolate bar and add it to the blue, rectangular cake, directly above the round cake, to make the smokestack. Add the two remaining Oreo halves on either side of the smokestack and two Kit Kat wafers at the bottom of the smokestack on either side. Now you have a "really useful" and delicous birthday cake!