Happy November, fellow crafty parents! Chances are you've already started thinking about Thanksgiving Day (but don't worry if you haven't, there's still plenty of time), and how to make your family's celebration extra special. We often put much effort into the main dinner table--making sure that it looks as inviting as the food that will be served on it. A common afterthought however, is the kids' table; a place for the T-Day tots to have their own dining space. Today on Craft Apparent, I show how to honor that space by using fall leaves to print on no-sew place mats (sized down to accommodate smaller plates), and make glittered pumpkin place cards for each of your little guests. Finish decorating by covering their table in colorful burlap and sprinkle with leaves and candy corn--you'll find that even the tiniest of diners will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Who knows, now they may never want to graduate to the "big people's" table!
Unbleached Cotton Fabric
Iron-on Adhesive (found in the Sewing aisle of the craft store)
Fabric Fusion Glue
Letter Stamps & Stamp Pad
Pumpkin Place Card:
Letter Brackets (found in the Scrapbooking aisle of the craft store)
Place Mat How-To
- Cut 2, 9"x13" pieces of fabric and 1, 9"x13" piece of iron-on adhesive. Following adhesive manufacturer's instructions, sandwich between fabric and iron together to make place mat.
- Sponge brush a thin layer of fabric paint over the front side of a leaf. Place face down on fabric and press. Repeat this step across fabric to create printed design; leave blank space for text. Note: If you live in a part of the country that doesn't have a ton of great, fall leaves, fake ones from the craft store will work just as well!
- Using letters and ink, stamp "I am thankful for..." on blank space of mat. Note: If stamps are unavailable, hand write message using fabric markers. They work great, too!
- Cut 9" lengths of decorative ribbon and glue on to each end of mat. Well, fancy mat, you're done! ;-)
- Encourage your children to finish the sentence on their place mat by telling you what they're thankful for.
- For all-day affairs, set up a crafts table for kids to do their own leaf printing and pumpkin glittering!
Pumpkin Place Card How-To
- Sponge brush a liberal amount of Tacky Glue on the top of wee pumpkin. Make glue line uneven, to give more of a dripping effect.
- Pour glitter over glue. Let dry. Shake excess off.
- Push letter brackets (to spell child's name) into pumpkin front.
- Place pumpkin place card at each child's place setting, so they know there's a special seat just for them!
Stay tuned in two weeks for the dish on a picture perfect project, designed with your family photo in mind. Until then, happy Fall crafting!
VickiePsst! Make this craft? We'd love to see a picture of it...and we're sure others would too! Join the Craft Apparent Flickr group and upload photos of you're awesome Craft Apparent Crafts!