These works of art are also a 3D sensory treat! Let your children paint and create, then microwave their pictures and hang them up! Find the puffy paint recipe and instructions below.
- a few drops of food coloring or liquid watercolors
- 4 Tbsp self-rising flour
- 4 Tbsp salt
- a paintbrush (or clear condiment bottles for squeezing paint)
- glass or cardboard
- Make the microwavable puffy paint by mixing the flour, food coloring and salt. Add water to make a smooth paste.
- Pour the paint into the clear bottles and squeeze it onto the glass or cardboard in whatever design you wish. You can also use a paintbrush, but the more paint, the better.
- Microwave the painting. If you painted on cardboard, only microwave for 20-30 seconds. If you used glass, microwave for 1:30-2:00 minutes.
My children loved running their fingers over the finished paintings, so remember it's about the process and not the final product. It actually gave the paintings a great texture.