Learn how to make a simple DIY instrument: the classic rattle drum.
You don’t need fancy instruments to have fun with music at home. Gather up a few materials and make some simple rattle drums!
- 2 mason jar lids
- Small Beads
- String- cut to 10”
- Hot Glue (Adults only)
- Trace the outer edge of one lid on a piece of cardboard. Cut out cardboard circle.
- Cut the ends off two balloons. Pull one balloon over each canning lid.
- Tie a knot on one end of your string. Thread about four beads onto the string and knot the other end to form a 9” long string with two beads on either side.
- (Adults only) Hot glue one balloon covered lid to the cardboard circle. Turn over and tape the string to the cardboard circle at the center.
- (Adults only) Hot glue the other balloon covered lid to the open side of the cardboard, covering the string.
- Insert the skewer into cardboard at the bottom of the drum. Hot glue in place.
Now make some noise!