Are you all set for the summer? Let Camp PBS Parents help guide you with some amazing activities while the kids are out of school! Kicking off this year’s round of summer crafts are these easy to craft and great for imaginary play, DIY Mini Camping Tents. Made simply from paper and a few other supplies, these tiny craft creations are a wonderful summer boredom buster idea! Bring the tents to life with some miniature toys and pretend you are on a great safari or camping in a national park.
- one small piece of card stock paper (about 2 inches by 2 inches) cut into a square
- one small piece of card stock paper (about 2 inches by 4 inches) cut into a rectangle
- markers and crayons
- hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- contact paper
- Cover a small piece of card stock paper that you've pre-cut into a square with adhesive contact paper. This will be the floor of your tent.
- Fold your rectangular piece of card stock paper in half down the center.
- Flatten the rectangle and decorate it with marker and crayon. This will be the "roof" of your tent.
- Glue the base of the roof to the floor with a few small dabs of hot glue and you are all set!
Tips for engaging children while crafting:
- Where are you going camping?
- Can you name some places that would be a great place to have a camp?
- Can you name some of this nation's national parks?
- Use the craft to discuss with smaller children the difference between rectangles and squares or open up a conversation about patterns by designing a pattern on the tent roof.