This chain banner will turn any dessert from ordinary into “party ready” with just a few simple steps. It’s also a great tactile exercise for little hands and the perfect way to involve the kids in any pre-celebration preparation.
- felt (or paper) in various colors
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- wooden skewers
- Cut small strips of felt about 4-5 inches in length and about 1/2 inch (or a little more) in width. You can also use construction paper in place of felt.
- Loop the felt strips together, and glue the ends together. You will form a chain with each new loop you add. Small children can help loop each strip through but an adult should be in charge of the gluing with the hot glue gun.
- Once you have formed a chain of felt, glue the blunt end of a wooden skewer to each end of the chain. Glue the skewer to the inside of the loop on each side so the end is hidden and it looks like the chain is simply resting on the end of the skewer.
- Insert the pointed side of each skewer into the cake.
Remove the banner before lighting any candles and enjoy your cake!