Here’s a simple way to make a playful ladybug using a recycled plastic fruit cup.
- washed plastic fruit cup
- hole punch
- red acrylic paint
- black acrylic paint
- paint brush
- large pom-pom
- 2 small googly eyes
- 2 black pipe cleaners
- tacky glue or hot glue gun
- Start by sliding the hole punch over the rim of the fruit cup and punching 3 holes on each side of the cup, trying to line the holes up as best you can on each side.
- Paint the fruit cup red. It may require 2 coats. Let it dry completely.
- Paint black dots on top of the fruit cup. Let the dots dry completely.
- Cut a 2 ½” piece off from one of your black pipe cleaners. Bend it in half to make antennae. Save the rest of the unused portion of the pipe cleaner for another project.
- Use your tacky glue or a hot glue gun to glue on your large pom-pom face, 2 googly eyes and your antennae. (Use of a hot glue gun requires adult assistance and supervision.) Make sure not to cover up the holes in your fruit cup when you glue on your pom-pom.
- Cut your other black pipe cleaner into thirds. Lace the pieces through the holes in your fruit cup to make the six ladybug legs. Bend them downward slightly to hold them in place so they won’t come out of the holes.
Try making a spider by punching eight holes in the fruit cup instead of six. Enjoy your bugs!