Yummy! A crunchy, sweet Valentine’s Day treat that won’t earn your kids a trip to the dentist—what a delicious, simple and healthy afternoon snack these were! Package ’em up pretty, and they’ll make a lovely gift for someone special. Apple chips are about a gazillion dollars per bag at my grocery store, so this is a super frugal snack to boot!
- knife (adults only)
- heart-shaped cookie cutters
- lemon juice (optional)
- parchment paper and cookie sheet for baking
- Thinly slice apples (really thin, or you'll be cooking these for HOURS).
- Lay out your slices and put your kid to work with the heart-shaped cookie cutters. If there isn't too much core or seedy bits, the punched-out hearts can be baked too!
- Dip all the slices in some freshly squeezed lemon juice to prevent browning (optional).
- Bake the apple slices on some parchment for an hour and 10 minutes in a 250 °F oven. Some of the thicker slices might take a few minutes longer. Once they are lightly browned, pull them out of the oven and let cool. They'll crisp up in no time.
A heart-apple-chip a day keeps the dentist away!