Quicksand is nothing more than a soupy mixture of sand and water, where the sand is literally floating (suspended) in the water. Scientifically speaking, quicksand is a substance that behaves like a solid and a liquid at the same time. It is just solid ground that has been liquefied by too much water; the term “quick” refers to how easily the sand shifts when in this solid-liquid state.
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- food coloring (optional)
- plastic bowl or bin
- Measure 3/4 cup of water in a plastic measuring cup.
- Add a couple of drops of food coloring to the water.
- Measure 1 cup of cornstarch into a plastic bowl or bin.
- Slowly add the water and food coloring.
- Mix. It will take about 10 minutes to be evenly mixed. You may need to add more water and/or cornstarch to get the consistency just right.
DO NOT POUR QUICKSAND DOWN THE DRAIN. IT MAY SEPARATE AND BECOME A HARD CLUMP OF CORNSTARCH!
To learn more about the benefits of sensory play, visit Sensory Play and Early Child Development.