Check out these mini mosaics that can be used for children’s jewelry or dangling decorations using materials you’d normally throw away, like lids from plastic bottles.
- recycled lids (from milk gallons, water/soda bottles, etc.)
- tile adhesive (white creamy stuff, same consistency as peanut butter). You can buy a premixed tub from the dollar store or mix your own from powdered tile adhesive from a DIY shop—both very cheap.
- sparkly decorations (i.e., glitter, glass nuggets, beads, broken tiles, etc.)
- for hanging decorations or jewelry: a small piece of wire and some string or dental floss
- for magnets, little magnets from the dollar store
- If you haven't bought a premixed tile adhesive, make yours now.
- Fill lids with tile adhesive.
- Stick your sparkly things into the tile adhesive. Make sure you embed the decorations well, so they don't fall out.
- Optional: Collect appropriate hanging mechanisms (ribbon for necklaces or string for hanging decorations—we used dental floss!) and/or magnets. Glue a rainbow-shaped piece of wire on the top back of your mosaic and then tie a string through the wire once it's dry. For magnets, simply glue the magnet on the back.
We have done quite a few of these—a great way of recycling and perfect for a gift or Christmas tree ornaments.