Initially for Cinco de Mayo, my son and I made these fun egg carton maracas. My kids have been playing with them every day since! Here’s how we made them.
- egg cartons
- kid-safe paint
- rice, beans, beads or other small items that make noise when shuffled
- Popsicle craft sticks
- tape (optional)
- glitter, sequins, stickers, etc. (optional)
- Cut four sections from an egg carton and paint them in the color of your choice.
- Fill two of the egg carton cups with rice or beans (we did one of each) or other small items that you choose.
- Put a dab of glue on the rim in the place you would like the handle to be.
- Press the end of a Popsicle craft stick onto the glue and hold firmly down for several seconds.
- Spread glue around the entire rim of the cup (single egg carton), making sure to go over the craft stick as well.
- Take a second cup, press it down on top and hold firmly for about a minute. Repeat the above process for the second maraca.
- Cover the seams with tape or something else creative to hide it.
- Decorate with glitter, stickers, gems, sequins, and so on.
Give them a shake and save them for other fun occasions!