When my oldest was about two years old, my mother bought her her first piggy bank, which quickly turned into one of her favorite things. She would sit and put coins in, then I would take them out, then she would put them back in. She enjoyed this so much that I even brought the piggy bank on her first commercial airline flight for her to play with because it would entertain her for hours. It was such a hit, I figured out how to make another one from recycled items for her younger sister.
- one water bottle
- five water bottle caps
- one bigger bottle cap (we used a Gatorade bottle cap)
- pink paint
- glue gun
- googly eyes
- pink foam paper (construction paper works too)
- one pink pipe cleaner
- Paint your bottle and bottle caps all pink.
- While the paint is drying, curl the pipe cleaner around your finger to make the tail.
- Cut triangular ears out of the pink foam paper.
- Fold your ears in half so they look more like piggy ears.
- Once the paint is dry, glue the legs, eyes, tail, nose, and ears onto your pig.
- Cut a hole in the back big enough to fit a quarter or folded dollar through.
Start putting and saving money in your new bank!