Make a no-sew Wild Kratts Bat Costume complete with creature power discs! To make this costume you’ll need just a few simple supplies. Creature Power GO!
- 1/2 yard of black felt
- 2 blue felt squares
- 1 gray felt square
- a piece of thin cardboard (like a cereal box)
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- printable Creature Power Discs (enlarge if needed)
- packing tape
- black knit gloves
- blue t-shirt
- black t-shirt
- black pants
- Fold the 1/2 yard of black felt in half widthwise.
- Cut a scoop in the top of the fold. This will be the top center of the bat wings.
- Fold the fabric back widthwise and cut repeating scallops starting at the bottom, moving outward toward the top. Taper in with your scallop shapes near the top and end with your final scallop about 4-5 inches from the top.
- Starting on one side of the top of the wings, cut two vertical slits to form a band. Move over about 5 inches toward the center of the wings (toward the scoop for the neck) and repeat. Next, do the exact same thing on the other side of the wings. These bands you are creating will be what your child slips their arms through to wear the bat wings.
- On thin cardboard (such as cereal box cardboard) draw a tall, slightly curved triangle with a tab on the bottom. Repeat this shape so you have two tall curved triangles. These will be the ears. Cut them out.
- On the bottom of each ear where you cut out a tab, cut a small slit in the center of the tab. This will allow you to bend the tabs in opposite directions so when you glue them onto the headband, they will stay affixed.
- Trace the ears onto gray felt and cut the felt out. Repeat the tracing and cutting out so you have enough felt to cover both sides of each ear. Glue the felt onto the ears.
- Fold the tabbed portion at the bottom of the ears outward (each little tab in an opposite direction from its partner) and glue the ears onto a headband.
- Next, cut out small strips of blue felt and glue them onto each ear.
- To make the vest, simply cut the sleeves and a portion of the waist off of a black T-shirt.
- Cut out one large and three small circles of blue felt. Then cut out two long, thin rectangles, two medium rectangles, and four small squares of blue felt. Glue them onto the vest as shown in this picture.
- For the gloves, cut out 10 small blue circles of felt, one for each fingertip, then a blue circle for each palm of the gloves and a square for the outside of each glove. Glue them onto the gloves.
- Print out the Creature Power Discs and cut them out. If you need to, you can enlarge or reduce the size of the discs when you print them so that they fit perfectly to the size of your vest. Once you print out the discs, cover in packing tape on both sides (or laminate if you have that equipment available). Cut off excess packing tape.
- Finally, glue a small Velcro square to the center of the back of each disc and to the front of the largest circle on the vest.
Now you are all set! Put on the blue t-shirt and black pants. Put the newly crafted Power vest on top of the blue t-shirt. Velcro on the Creature Power Disc. Slip the child’s arms through the slits you created in the top of the wings. Put on the headband and a pair of shoes, and your child is ready to Creature Power Go!