SAND & SOIL
Find out what happens when you mix sand and soil with water.
- Bag of top soil (not potting soil)
- Bag of play sand
- Disposable plastic dinner plates
- Craft sticks and/or plastic forks
- Small containers of water
- Eyedroppers (or small containers)
- Playing with dry sand & soil
Give a plate of sand and a plate of soil (small amount) to your kids. Have them look, smell, and touch as they compare. Ask:
Together with your kids, do the following things with the dry sand and soil, then talk about the different results.
- What things can you see in the soil? What things can you see in the sand?
- What does the soil feel like? What does it smell like? How about the sand? Do you think you could tell the difference with your eyes closed?
- What happens when you squeeze the soil in your fist? Does it stay together? How about the sand? What could you add to sand to make it hold together better?
- Make tracks with fingers, stick, and fork
- Make a hill
- Dig a hole
- Playing with wet sand & soil
Have your kids add drops of water to their plates of sand and their plates of dirt. Ask:
After kids have had a chance to build, have them add a little more water to the soil and the sand. What happens to their mud pie and their sand structure?
- What do you notice?
- How does adding water change the look and feel of the soil?
- How does adding water change the look and feel of the sand?
- Try to make a mud pie with the soil. Do you need more water?
- Build something with the sand. Do you need more water?
Age Range: 3-5
- Earth Science
- Problem Solving
- Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
- The Piggy in the Puddle by Charlotte Pomerantz
Curious George is a production of Imagine, WGBH and Universal. Curious George and related characters, created by Margret and H.A. Rey, are copyrighted and trademarked by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and used under license. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC. Television Series: ©2016 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved. The PBS KIDS logo is a registered mark of PBS and is used with permission. Proud sponsors of Curious George® on PBS KIDS® are Kiddie Academy and ABCmouse.com.
For more fun and games, check out curiousgeorge.com