These cookies taste better the more you pound on the dough.
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Give your child a manageable chunk of dough. It’s okay for your child to mash it, knead it, and pound it. The longer and harder your child mixes the dough, the better the cookies taste!
- When the mixing is done, show your child how to roll the dough into balls about the size of ping-pong balls, and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Take it Further
Following recipes involves reading and following directions. Your child can see firsthand how helpful it is to be able to read numbers and to measure carefully.
Talk About It
Help your child know that there are things he can do with his hands when he is angry besides hitting like pounding on cookie dough or play dough.
You May Also Like
PBS Parents Newsletter
Find activities, parenting tips, games from your child's favorite PBS KIDS programs and more.