Happy Friday! I hope that you’re all excited about the weekend, and if you’re looking for ideas for what to do, think about spending time outdoors with your family. Getting outside together is a great way to bond, and to get some physical exercise without really thinking about it.
If you’ve only got a day or less, one of the easiest outings you can plan is a family hike. You won’t need much, other than appropriate clothing (depending on the trail you choose, you may need long pants and sleeves) as well as proper footwear, sunscreen, and insect repellent. Planning a hike together is also a great opportunity to talk with your kids about what foods you should bring to make sure everyone’s body has what it needs while you’re out on the trail. You’ll want portable, high-energy foods that don’t need to be chilled (like granola, nuts, dried fruit or trail mix) and water to keep you hydrated.
Other fun family outings are:
- A picnic. Bring a Frisbee or ball and plan a game of Frisbee or catch. You’ll also have fun planning your picnic lunch!
- A bike ride. If you have bikes for everyone, a family ride is a great way to explore your neighborhood or someplace new. Just make sure you’ve got helmets that fit everyone.
- If the weather’s not cooperative, try a new activity together. Bowling, ice-skating and roller-skating are great activities that won’t require any equipment on your end.
- Article: Keep Kids Active
- Article: Tips for Camping with Kids
- Activity: Dinosaur Train: Have a Brachiosaurus Picnic
- Recipe: Homemade Trail Mix
- From Busy Working Mama: How to Plan a Fun Play Date
- From Produce for Kids: Healthy Meals to Pack for Your Picnic