There are six main characters that make up the core company. Each of these characters has a singular magical ability to produce, control, manipulate and play with words and letters.
- Marcus Barnes is the newest and youngest member of the Electric Company. Marcus is recently discovered that he has "the power". Since everything is new to him, he can get a little over-excited but the rest of the company has embraced him and his special number power is a big help to their collective powers. He LOVES math, and if you're not careful, he'll explain his calculations all day!
- Lisa Heffenbacher is quirky, funny and full of life. She is a collector of words and is easily distracted. Her superpower is the ability to solve any word problem at super-human speed: an anagram, a rebus, you name it! She's also a great singer, but dancing is a challenge because she is a bit of a klutz. Lisa recently went to Space Camp.
- Hector Ruiz has recently finished college and runs The Electric Diner for Keith's father, Leo. Hector's superpower is the ability to visually recall anything that has occurred around him. He can zero in on details that can lead to important information that helps with solving problems. Hector is fun loving and always dancing, and always makes sure to look his best.
- Jessica Ruiz is a teenager and a natural problem solver. She is gutsy, and even though she's young, she doesn't take any guff from the bad guys. She can dance and she can rap. Her literacy superpower is aural recall; she can replay anything she hears and show it as text. Even though Jessica's brother, Hector, is seven years older, Jessica likes to act like the big sister and that can drive him nuts!
- Shock (Chris Sullivan) has a wide-open sweetness and a relentless imagination. Shock works in the Electric Diner and occasionally helps in the decoding of words there. He does so without skipping a beat - in fact, as a vocal percussionist, he provides the beat.
- Keith Watson is a 15-year-old upbeat, cool kid who is confident, optimistic, open and charming. He's a natural negotiator too! His superpower is the ability to create pictures from words!
- Leo Watson (L. Steven Taylor) runs The Electric Diner, which serves as headquarters for The Electric Company, and is Keith's dad. He is a hands-on father and is cool but firm.
Like our core characters, the pranksters have individualized special powers. They have unique ways of altering words and creating mayhem in the neighborhood. With varying ages between 10-20 years old, these villains are driven not by greed, but are motivated by the sheer joy of being naughty and creating chaos.
- Francine Carruthers is obsessed with popularity and wants to be the president of The Electric Company. She can throw wordballs just like the Company. She leaves clues in the form of rhyming poems and has a secret crush on Hector.
- Gilda Flip is a prankster-in-training that lives in Francine's building. Francine has taken her under her wing, agreeing to teach her about pranksterism and life in general. She is very well organized and eager to please.
- Danny Rebus leaves riddles in rebus form, creating havoc in the neighborhood. He is super touchy and offended by the smallest wrongdoing. He's a whiner, a grudge-holder and an all around bitter pill.
- Annie Scrambler is sworn to create chaos by scrambling text in the neighborhood. Don't let the sugary exterior fool you, this bon bon has a toxic center. She is an impish time bomb who will lull you into a false sense of security and throw your world into chaos by scrambling information, messages and even eggs.
- Manuel "Manny" Spamboni is a tech whiz who hacks and builds gizmos to thwart our heroes. What he lacks in social skills and regular hygiene habits, Manny makes up for with his desire to triumph over The Electric Company. Any change in The Electric Company's reputation is a cause for pure delight.